So, what is this? This is an external stepper driver board for X and Y stepper motors of the original Prusa MK2/MK2S printers. It allows usage of TMC2100 (Silent Step Stick and similar) drivers, so your printer will become a lot quieter and much smoother due to the 256 step interpolation (same as on the MK3).
The Mini-Rambo v1.3a board does not have much spare pins, so I was forced to use all of the unused pins/sockets (such as X, Y, Z max inputs etc). I have switched only the port numbers in Prusa’s original firmware (3.1.0 currently) and recompiled so it can be flashed with the original tool.
This kit is recommended for DIY enthusiasts who are not afraid to mod their machines.
Attention: It works only with Mini-Rambo v1.3a boards.
Note 1: It should be working fine with MMU, but I don’t have the upgrade, so I’ll have someone to test it soon. I’ll announce it when I have more info.
Note 2: I just had a quick look at the released MKS 2.5 Upgrade firmware by prusa and it will work with that, but will require a second wire to be soldered to the mini-rambo, as easy as the first wire to solder. But needs to be tested first, when the 2.5 upgrade comes out.
- Silent! – I’ve tested it with TMC2100 drivers and the printer is very quiet. Now the part cooling fan is noisier than the X-Y movements.
- Easy installation – It’s almost Plug’n Play. All wiring is done via connectors and sockets with the exception of one wire, which is very easy to solder.
- Original firmware – Only pins are swapped, so all original features are available, v3.1.0 (future versions will be supported, too)
- Printable box – convinient printable box for the mod compatible with the original design. (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2777899)
- Config jumpers – The board is pre-configured for spreadCycle mode, but you can switch to stealthChop (not recommended due to possible skipping)
- Easy revert – you can easily switch back to stock by flashing back the original firmware.
- 12/24V power input – You can power the board with 24V if you like, but stock 12V work just fine, too.
What’s included in the kit:
- 1 x MK2/MK2S Ext. driver board
- 1 x Data cable
- 1 x Power cable
What’s NOT INCLUDED:
- No stepper drivers are included in the kit !!! You’ll have to buy them seperately! Make sure you buy ones with bigger heatsink! I use these: Ebay
- The additional Noctua fan you see on the pictures is not included. I strongly suggest you put one as the TMCs are getting very hot. Get the 12V version.
- The voltmeter you see on the pictures is not included, but you can buy one here: Ebay
- I highly recommend using heavier heatsinks like these: Aliexpress
I’ve tested some versions of the TMC2100 and the ones with black PCB work the best. I do not recommend the ones with white PCB, as the motors were whining with them.
Installation manual will be provided when the boards are ready.
Price: 29.00 EUR
Worldwide registered shipping included.
Right now I’m waiting for restock on some components. The board will be available very soon. First batch is limited so if you want one, please pre-order.
Pre-order here: https://vmod.wordpress.com/preorder/